Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My Dad

My Dad turned 60 on Valentine's day this year so we had a nice little party for him at my parent's house on Sunday.

So in honor of my Dad's big day I'd like to tell you a little bit about him. My Dad is a fantastic man. He's the father of 3 girls (bless him!). He's incredibly handy. He can fix anything (and does on a regular basis). He's the most helpful person I've ever met. Or maybe he's just helpful to me 'cause I'm his kid, but he'll go out of his way to help you fix something that's broken, and if he can't come by he'll at least walk you through it over the phone. He has some creative outlets too, he went through a stained glass phase in my mid childhood, and everyone in my family (even my eldest daughter most recently) has some furniture that was hand made by my Dad. It's good stuff too - nearly indestructible. He's made my Mom a couple of rings out of spoons and if that's not a neat trick I don't know what is. He's a walking map. This man can give you directions to anywhere, and give them to you right - none of this highway numbers and miles business - he gives you directions by landmark "ok so after you turn left at the oak tree you'll see an old victorian house with peeling paint on the front door, veer right around the dog that will be laying in the middle of the road" and he offer helpful tips too like when I went to the Forks ME when I was like 16, he actually said "when you get off the highway stop at that gas station and fill it up even if you think you don't need to 'cause you won't make it there if you don't have a full tank" That still kills me. But he's not overbearing with the advice. He only gives it if you ask. Not that I'd ever not take unsolicited advice from my Dad, but other people go spouting off all sorts of nonsense without you wanting to and then try to give you directions with miles and route numbers - he's not like that. Most importantly, my Dad taught me that I can do anything I put my mind to. And I completely beleived him (OK so I also beleived him when he told me that Jack Dempsies bite, and I didn't find out that weren't some domestic form of piranah until last year). Truly though, I live my life as if I can do anything, and I jump in with both feet and just do it. I don't think about it I just go. My Mom says I'm a lot like my Dad, and I take it as a compliment 'cause there isn't a person in this world I would rather be more like.

He's Quinn's hero to boot.